Refusal to authenticate users with user names that are substrings of others

JFreeman at cornell-iowa.edu JFreeman at cornell-iowa.edu
Sat Nov 18 18:04:54 GMT 2000

I haven't seen any reference to this problem in my search of the archives.
I have a user that samba will not authentication as a valid user.  I have
been able to recreate the problem as follows:

We are running our samba server using NT authentication (server=domain).  We
use a script to create the UNIX account when a new user hits the system for
the first time.  Now suppose a new user n-abcdef is created in the NT PDC
and that users accesses the samba server.  The new user script is run and
everything works as expected.  Later a user n-abcd is created on the NT
side.  When that user tries to access the server, she is refused access with
an invalid password error

(error code in log file was :smbd/passwd.cLdomain_client_validate(1369)
domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user n-abcd in
domain XXXX to Domain controller XX.  Error was NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD.)

It would appear to me that the password for n-abcd is being checked against
the password for n-abcdef.  I haven't seen this error listed in the bug
fixes for different versions of 2.0.x.  Has anyone else seen it and/or is
this a configuration error on my part.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

------