samba headaches

TPsmith at ixl.com TPsmith at ixl.com
Sat Nov 18 18:00:38 GMT 2000

thanks David.
I thank you for your insight, and would be grateful to get the "write-up" of
your setup, whenever you can.
I found that the "real" reason I was so frustrated, had little to do with my
skill level in networking (I have run multiple networks), and less to do
with SAMBA, but more to do with the fact that I am an network/systems
engineer, with no knowledge of when things change on the infrastructure,
that my infrastructure sits on.
Our corporate network/systems guys, without intent, don't give us
information on what changes they do and/or when.
I had tried to rule them out before I flamed this list, as the reason my
SAMBA wasn't working, but just yesterday learned that they had modified
route tables and wins servers and all kinds of fun stuff that could have
been causing my issues.
I moved the server to this building and put it on the same subnet as the
client machines and everything is fine.  I don't know why it couldn't work
on the separate subnets, but if I had more time to figure it out, before
moving on, I would do the proper research and not waste my and your time
flaming this mailing list.

thanks for your tolerance,
tpaul