Windows password expiration

David Endres bigmudcake at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 18 01:19:08 GMT 2000

I have been using SAMBA for several years at several
sites now,  found it to be extremely powerful.

I have also been following the development of the
SAMBA system with great interest, and take my hat off
for the great job the SAMBA Team does in providing a
server application with such a high quality of code
and efficiency.

I feel recently there is a view to create more
internal systems inside SAMBA such as a password
database and its own password expiration rather than
using the systems already built into Unix/Linux such
as LDAP, PAM, Shadow Passwords, nsswitch, Kerberos
etc.
I know there is integration currently in SAMBA of
these services, but alot of it is still underdeveloped
and/or experimental.

For example both SAMBA and netatalk both use their own
systems to drive NT Style passwords and File/Print
shares.

Another situation is where both the passwd file and
smbpasswd file both contains a users username, this
makes syncing of systems just a bit more difficult
plus you have unnecessary  duplication and redundancy
of data.

Currently SAMBA does a fantastic job in combining
Windows and Unix environments and I regard it as the
"killer" server app for the Enterprise.

These are just my thought on how to further improve
SAMBA to make it a more integrated product both in

=====
                  (o o)
David Endres, mailto:bigmudcake at yahoo.com