samba shared directory

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Fri Nov 17 19:34:33 GMT 2000

Was having some problems with a public shared folder shared by samba to bunch
of windows clients.  The requirement was that each person had read, write and
edit access to any file in the share. After a bit of monkeying around I found
I had to do the following to get this to work.

Add create mask = 2775

to the share section, and chmod -R 2775 shared-directory.  This allows each
person to edit any file on the share. This is good, is there an easier way to
pull this off?  The directory in question is owned by root and the group that
includes all the relevant users.

So is there a better way to do this? It seems to be working out fine. They
wanted to mount their ACT! database on the server so that everyone could work
off of it.

Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting