postscript printing oddity via samba

stephan wendl sww at force10networks.com
Fri Nov 17 18:00:31 GMT 2000

I was wondering if anyone had come accross this little problem.

I have several postscript files that when sent diretly to the printer (hp8100) work  fine,  but when submitted
via smbprint from either a linux machine or solaris machine running samba 2.0.6 or 2.0.7 casue the following
symptoms.

the first page gets repeated 20 times and consequent pages get dropped.  Even the test page from the linux printtool
cause that page to print over and over again.  I have even seen a situation where my testpage resulted in the test
page on one side of the paper and a previous print on the other. Only after power cycling the printer  did this symptom
go away

Any clues or hints would be appreciated
thanks
-sww