Safest way to mount NT Server share

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Fri Nov 17 17:26:21 GMT 2000

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, Bill Parker wrote:

> 	However, we are in the process of converting our application from
> NT to linux, but I MUST have access to a NT Server share to make this
> work (as it reads data from it), but when I have used smbmount with a
> destination IP, it will let me mount the drive, BUT, after a while, I
> get a smbfs-retry (error: -3) code, and I lose communication with the
> NT Share, and when I try to shutdown the system i will either get hung
> up during the process, or a kernel panic happens.

You normally don't get the "-3" error on it's own, what are the messages
before that?

I suspect that you are suffering from the "smb_retry: caught signal" bug.
There is a workaround for that in 2.2.18-pre21.
(http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/pre-patches.html)

The system getting hung up is known (if you unplug the network and access
the smbfs mount your process will wait forever for responses to its
query), kernel panics are not. If you can capture the oops and run that
through ksymoops it might tell something.

> an idea as to how I can get this 2nd box to show up in network
> neighborhood, and more importantly maintain communications with the
> NT Server Share (which is VERY important)...

I'm guessing the browsing problem is either a smb.conf problem (double
check vs your working box?) or simply that nmbd isn't running.

/Urban