problem with smbclient/Amanda interaction

Eric A. Sproul esproul at cstone.net
Thu Nov 16 16:13:02 GMT 2000

Hi,
I've been bugging the folks on the amanda-users list for some time about
this, but I think it boils down to an issue with smbclient.

What I'm doing is mounting a Win2K shared folder on a Redhat 6.2 Linux
machine with Samba 2.0.7 (compiled from source), then using Amanda from
a FreeBSD box to back it up along with the regular Linux partitions.
All the other partitions back up just fine, but Amanda has problems with
the samba mount.  Here's what it reports having gotten from smbclient
(IP's changed to protect the guilty):

sendsize: getting size via smbclient for //nitrous/backups level 1
sendsize: running "/usr/bin/smbclient '\\nitrous\backups' XXXXX -d 0 -U
backup -E -c 'archive 1;recurse;du'"
added interface ip=192.168.1.13 bcast=192.168.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0

		34727 blocks of size 262144. 15462 blocks available
Total number of bytes: -680524800
(no size line match in above smbclient output)

So smbclient appears to be sending a negative number for the filesize,
making Amanda fail.  When I view the mount in my filesystem via a
regular "ls -l", I have:

total 4031802
-rwxr-xr-x    1 operator disk     514122752 Sep 19 10:57 Backup.bkf
-rwxr-xr-x    1 operator disk     3614442496 Nov 12 19:46 fullvolume.bkf

It's something to do with that 3.6 GB file.  When it isn't there,
smbclient reports an accurate file size and the backup works.  Is there
some problem with large file sizes?  I don't see any docs on problems
with this.

Thanks for your help,
Eric

--