Synchronization passwords between Unix & Samba

yarond yaron.daniel at telrad.co.il
Wed Nov 15 16:14:33 GMT 2000

Hello Dave and everyone

The problem I have is :

I got many HPUX servers and NIS sun server on the same network and also users-PC station with win95/98.

I installed Samba on HPUX with the options: --with-nis , --with-automount

When a user login from the pc he gets his home-directory from the NIS db.

But what will happened if the user will change his password at the Unix with yppasswd
I will need to change his password in the - smbpasswd file at the Samber server.

I want to have the situation that when user change his password on the NIS there will be sync against the smbpasswd or on the contrary when user change my password at the Samba (smbpasswd) there will be sync against the NIS.

here is my smb.conf file:

[global]
	workgroup = system
	netbios name = yaron
	server string = Samba %v on (%L) (HP 10.20)
	security = user
	encrypt passwords = yes
	null passwords = yes
	smb passwd file = /etc/opt/samba/private/smbpasswd
	unix passwd sync = yes
	passwd program = /usr/bin/yppasswd %u
	nis homedir = yes
	log file = /opt/samba/var/log/smb.%m
	wins server = 131.335.25.55
	nis homedir = yes
	guest account = ftp

[home]
	writeable = yes
	create mask = 0750
	geust ok = yes

[tmp]
	path = /tmp
	writeable = yes
	guest ok = yes

When user change his password from the Unix with smbpasswd i got this error message
machine 127.0.0.1 rejected the password change : Error was : The specified passwd is invalid.

Now , to youre quiestion - from the prompt , I can call ypasswd as root , specifing the user name and get prompt for the new password.

Anothere question (sorry for all the questions) , I will install the Samba on more 20 server , how can i control that all the servers
will use only one smbpasswd file.
Is it good method to use the "security = user"  or should I use the "security = domain" and then i will have to install samba on the NIS server.

Thanks
	have a nice day
	and if u are from vancuver
	have a good day also...