Windows password expiration

BDCSA Inc. baitnet at bdcsa.org
Wed Nov 15 11:39:29 GMT 2000

>> Derek wrote:
>>
>> I dont know if this has been posted here before, but
>> here goes, Is password expiration planned for a near
>> future release of samba? or is it already implemented in
>> a current version?
>
>I was thinking about this yesterday actually.  I know how
>to do this in the code.  Is really easier to be honest.
>The rewritten passdb API can support it.  Would need either
>a a full SAM style account backend (smbpasswd does not
>have enough fields) or another smb.conf parameter like
>
>        max password age = <number of minutes>
>
>However, no production releases of Samba support
>this currently.  I guess what I am is saying is,
>"No, we don't do that now but can shortly."

Correct me if I am wrong but doesnt the unix system already
have a password expiration mechanism built into its core ????

Can't you pull the neccessary info from there rather than
adding more fields into smbpassword file or smb.conf

I persoanlly feel that password expiration is a very
important and critical aspect of good password security.

Regards
David Endres.