NO /etc/shadow update with smbpasswd

Ingmar Koecher ingmar.koecher at netikus.net
Tue Nov 14 18:23:42 GMT 2000

Samba 2.0.7 is installed fine on my redhat 7 system but when I run smbpasswd
only the samba password is being udpated, not the unix one. I really do need
this feature as I can not use samba otherwise! What could that be - it
sounds like a simple problem but I don't know where to look!

Those lines are in my smb.conf
====================
# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
  encrypt passwords = yes
;  smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd

# The following are needed to allow password changing from Windows to
# update the Linux sytsem password also.
# NOTE: Use these with 'encrypt passwords' and 'smb passwd file' above.
# NOTE2: You do NOT need these to allow workstations to change only
#        the encrypted SMB passwords. They allow the Unix password
#        to be kept in sync with the SMB password.
  unix password sync = Yes
  passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
  passwd chat = *New*UNIX*password* %n\n *Retype*new*UNIX*password* %n\n

# Unix users can map to different SMB User names
;  username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

Thanks,

Ingmar.

NETIKUS.NET (Inh. Ingmar Koecher)