SMB directly hosted on TCP

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Mon Nov 13 20:04:01 GMT 2000

Ville Herva wrote:

> Direct hosted "NetBIOS-less" SMB traffic uses port 445
> (TCP and UDP). In this situation, a four-byte header
> precedes the SMB traffic. The first byte of this header
> is always 0x00, and the next three bytes are the length
> of the remaining data. You can use the following steps
> to disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP, forcing all SMB traffic
> to be direct hosted. "
>
> This actually sounds quite good. It could in fact
> reduce overhead and improve performance. What do you think?
>
> Would it make sense/be feasible to support this on Samba?

The code to do this has been written in development
branches for a while.  We will try to being it over
some time in the near future.  Most certainly this
will happen after we get 2.2.0 out the door.

btw...you loose the virtual server functionality in
Samba with netbios-less CIFS as there is no called name
in the TCP session request. :-(

-- Cheers, jerry
 \/    http://www.valinux.com/  VA Linux Systems   gcarter at valinux.com
       http://www.samba.org/       SAMBA Team          jerry at samba.org