smb.conf

Jason Osborne rage at sohonetworks.cc
Mon Nov 13 05:03:29 GMT 2000

first thing is first. the workgroup setting specifies what workgroup or
domain (if security is set to domain). to setup samba to be a server on a
domain, here is an example smb.conf file. this should answer a few of your
questions.

here is the layout of my network
Linux box = Meridian (192.168.0.1) - slave of pdc
NT 4.0 box = Lithium (192.168.0.2) - pdc running wins server
NT4 Domain = SOHOLAN

[global]
	netbios name = MERIDIAN 	# you would add this name to your nt4 pdc. this is
your netbios name.
	workgroup = SOHOLAN		# this is your workgroup or domain in your situation.
      security = domain			# this is the type of security samba uses.
      encrypt passwords = Yes
	password server = LITHIUM	# this tells samba to valid users through your nt
pdc.
	wins support = No			# this tells samba not to act as a wins server.
	wins server = 192.168.0.2	# this tells samba to register with the wins
server on the nt4 server.

[Public]
      comment = Public File Share
	read only = no
	guest ok = yes
      writable = yes
      public = yes

i'm not totally sure if you need to run the wins server on the nt server.
however, i believe that when i set the linux box to be the wins server, i
was getting errors accessing network neighborhood. guess because if the nt
server is accepting the domain logins for the machines, it may not be
registering it with the linux wins server. might want to check into that. or
maybe someone has the answer.

--
Jason Osborne
Data and Telecom Network Solutions