Links and samba

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Sun Nov 12 12:46:55 GMT 2000

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000, Marcin Kuzmicki wrote:

> Hi,
> I have a problem with smbclient. Is there a possibility of detecting
> if a file shared by linux box is a vaild directory or only a link.
> I have a scanner for our academic network that scanns all shares but
> when it finds a symlink for a parent directory its going round and
> round and makes my database bigger and bigger.
> I've tried to check in source files i only found something like
> uint16 ( i think it describes shares attributes ).
> Have anyone had such problem or maybe you can help me resolving this
> problem.

The problem is that smb does not have symlinks. A samba server will map a
symlink pointing to a directory into a directory (possibly configurable),
so to the client there is no way of knowing if the dir is real or not.

Maybe there is some unique information returned about a directory that
would allow keeping track of duplicates. But I don't know any such
information.

/Urban