Exploring network neighbourhood without WINS server

Vianney Philippe vphilipp at messel.emse.fr
Sun Nov 12 01:32:19 GMT 2000

Hello !

I am moving to Linux a program to explore the network neghbourhood and
make searches. My network has got many domains and subnets. And we do
not have any WINS server. It was easy under Visual C++ to explore the
entire network, using the API.

But, how can I do this with samba if I do not have any WINS server ? It
seems difficult to explore other subnets. I know I can use IPs of
computers in my network, but I would like to make it work for any
network. Other thoughts: Can gnomba help me ? Do I have to go into samba
source files ?

Any help would be very appreciated.

Vianney