Novice: Both encrypted and Unencrypted Passwords?

Lynn Danielson Lynn.Danielson at clue.denver.co.us
Fri Nov 10 16:38:23 GMT 2000

Tony (ttibbenham at lowandbonar.com) wrote:
> I want all of them to access user level shares on a new Samba 2.0.6 / Mandrake
> 7.1 server.
> Can Samba recognise both encrypted and plain passwords ?

Yes.  I've used two methods for this.

1) Bypass the issue by letting an NT4 server, SP3 or higher, act as a
domain or password server.  The registry must be modified to allow
plain text passwords.

2) Use NetBIOS aliases and include files.  Set your server
to advertise itself as two different server names

In the [global] section your smb.conf file add lines something like:
  netbios name = samba_encrypted
  netbios aliases = samba_unencrypted
  include = /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.%L

You then need an include file for each netbios name.  In
this case /usr/local/lib/smb.conf.samba_encrypted and
/usr/local/lib/smb.conf.samba_unencrypted.

The include file for encrypted connections should contain:
  encrypt passwords = Yes
  smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd

The include file for unencrypted connections should contain:
  encrypt passwords = No

--
Lynn Danielson
lynnd at clue.denver.co.us