Problem with "create mode" and rights

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Thu Nov 9 22:47:34 GMT 2000

Alex,

On Thu, 09 Nov 2000 15:25:31 +0100, Alexander Rügamer wrote:

>I have installed "Samba 2.0.5a" on a Linux system with
>Kernel 2.2.10 .

Please upgrade to 2.0.7 as soon as poossible.

>In the smb.conf, the security level is set to "user".
>Nearly all works fine...but when i create a file on
>the share-directory with the "create mode = 774" the
>rights of this file have only "-rw-rw-r--".
>
>So why isn't the permisson of the file 774, as i had
>defined it with the "create mode"?

"create mode" ist more like an "inverted umask". The x-Bits (111) are
used to emulate archive, system and hidden semantics from DOSsy
filesystems (search the man page for smb.conf(5) for "map archiv"
(100), "map hidden" (001), "map system" (010) for more information).

The default is "map archive = yes", so you seem to have fiddled around
with it, otherwise you would have ended with 764 instead of 664.

I would suggest "create mode = 775" and all the "map" stuff set to
"yes" under normal circumstances.

If you have good reason to demand 774 you should set the "map" stuff
to no and an additional "force create mode = 0755". I'm not sure if
this one is already available in 2.0.5

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.