Samba server CRASH

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Thu Nov 9 22:21:17 GMT 2000

On Thu, 9 Nov 2000, Roman, James (J.D.) wrote:

> Sounds oddly like a memory problem, but not necessarily.  Unfortunately, you

Definitly a memory problem, or more correctly an "Out Of Memory" problem.

The linux kernel memory management will, when it runs out of memory or
believes it has run out of memory, kill a random process. There is work
being done to make this a bit more clever, not sure what the status on
that is.

http://www.surriel.com/
http://www.surriel.com/patches/
(search for OOM)

More memory or swap should help. But if the samba processes are getting
unreasonable large that may indicate a samba problem too (I believe there
was something regarding that with samba on solaris, search the archives).

> see what is happening.  VM is probably "Virtual Machine".  Use something

In this case it is virtual memory (and virtual memory itself can't kill
anything I guess, but who said error messages had to make sense? :)

/Urban