Novice: Both encrypted and Unencrypted Passwords?

ttibbenham at lowandbonar.com ttibbenham at lowandbonar.com
Thu Nov 9 19:14:18 GMT 2000

I've been browsing FAQ's and lists for weeks and havn't found an answer yet so
please forgive my newbie-ness.

I'm working on a net which has
Win 95 (original)
Win NT4 ws sp 1
Win 98
Win 2000 ?Professional?
Win Me
SunOS 5.6

I want all of them to access user level shares on a new Samba 2.0.6 / Mandrake
7.1 server.

Can Samba recognise both encrypted and plain passwords ?  If I put encrypted
passwords = yes in my smb.conf does that prevent the '95 and NT boxes logging
in.

Eventually I want the samba box to control a domain.  Can it do this.  What does
smb.conf need ?

Sincerely,

Tony
The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged.  It
is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is
unauthorised.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may
be unlawful.