help with error loging win98 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Tue Nov 7 08:39:15 GMT 2000

Luis,

On Mon, 06 Nov 2000 18:12:43 -0800, Lewie wrote:

>hello there i just loaded samba on my rh
>6.2 . i am having so much trouble, or if
>someone could show me what the hell i'm
>doing wrong.

At least: Give the docs a try ...

>1. I would like to share a folder for certain users ( system12 )
>2 . folder name "hourtrack"
>
>I did all this here's a copy of my
>smb.conf file
>
>[global]
>                    workgroup = cs
>                    server string = localhost
>                    sercurity =    SHARE

Do you have "sercurity" or "security" in smb.conf?

If "sercurity": You did not run testparm, did you?

>[hourtrack]
>                    comments    = clock in hours
>                    path    = /usr/local/src/users
>                    valid users    = system12
>                    read list    = yes

What is "read list = yes"?

>                    write list    = yes

What is "write list = yes"?

>after i did this. i went to my win98
>machine rebooted and login as user
>"system12" with a password that i assign

To use Win98 with Samba you will have to apply a registry hack or run
Samba with encrypted passwords. Read ENCRYPTION.txt for this. What
Win95.txt has to also applies to Win98.

I suggest you start over with "man smb.conf" and also have a look into
DIAGNOSIS.txt.

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.