Samba and Lotus Notes

Tobias Galitzien tg at channel-one.de
Tue Nov 7 00:18:33 GMT 2000

maybe I was not clear enough on Friday,

PLEASE - all the people who know something about Lotus Notes, tell me what
special things might be there that keep Samba from working normally with
these two or three *.DSK files.

If these files are on a so called "real" NT Server it works without
problems, if they're on Samba there is a problem. A user starts Notes
client, opens some databases and leaves his workstation for about twenty
minutes. After that Notes client freezes with any action the user takes. The
Windows error message is "Unexpected network error".

As written below, I have tried some options with Oplocks but had no luck. I
cannot believe when Notes shall be so successfull at all that there is
nobody who ever tried version 5.0.3 (on Windows) with these files on Samba.
There are reports that Notes 4 did indeed work on Samba without these
problems. What did they change?

Thanks for any hint,
	Tobias

-------

I have Lotus Notes 5.0.3 and the respective Notes client on a winframe
server and several ICA clients as workstations.

I don't know very much about Lotus Notes, other guys are managing it,
all I can see is that the client is configured to create some files in
the user's home directory called CACHE.DSK, DESKTOP.DSK and maybe some
more.

The home directories are on a Samba 2.0.5a server. Everything works
without problems there except this Notes client. The symptom is: Every
time a user is logged in to Notes client but doesn't touch it for about
20 minutes. When she tries to use it again after this break, it freezes
immediately with an "unexpected network error" message. This happens
always, perfectly reproducable.

If I move the home directories to a "real" NT server, Notes client
doesn't show this behaviour.

What I tried is to tell Samba to refuse Oplocks for these files (*.DSK),
then I switched off Oplocks for the whole home share. I fiddled with
socket options and double checked the overall configuration but I had no
success at all.

Desperately looking for a hint where to search next!