Archive bit problem

Ash Ridley ash.ridley at epostbox.screaming.net
Sat Nov 4 13:24:14 GMT 2000

Hi guys I have a small problem I hope someone can help me with.

I have a smaba server that I back up through a 98 workstation. The backup
software works with the DOS archive bit of the file. Unfortunately if my
login did not create the file I cannot alter the status of the archive bit
(I receive and error). Attached below is one of the shares on the samba box
(the only difference between the shares are which users can access it and
the paths) does any one know what I have got wrong.

Please note that all lines after and including 'map archive' have been
rem'ed out at the moment as another problem I have is as soon as I clear the
archive bit on files I have created and apply, the bit is set again.

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes