(no subject)

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Fri Nov 3 18:52:18 GMT 2000

Hello Basso,
We've seen some problems with timing on HP-UX with NIS and Samba that look
similar.
Don't have a handle on it yet.  But a couple of things to check - make sure
that you have
a process running called pwgrd; looks something like:

   root  1547     1  0 07:46:40 ?         0:04 /usr/sbin/pwgrd

This is used to speed up lookups via hash tables, etc.

Also, the gid -2 error you are getting is probably because you haven't
defined a
guest account = xxxxxxx in your smb.conf file; if you do not assign this to
a dummy
user in /etc/passwd, then it will default to using the nobody account, who
has a uid/gid
of -2; and samba is NOT good with handling uid/gid's that are negative, and
will cause
problems.  I use the following; in global section of smb.conf:

     guest account = pcguest

in /etc/passwd:

    pcguest:*:277:20:sambauser::/bin/false

Hope this helps,