Fwd: [LeapList] Automating SAMBA share mounting

Jason Haar Jason.Haar at trimble.co.nz
Thu Nov 2 19:58:54 GMT 2000

On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 06:04:57PM +0100, Urban Widmark wrote:
> AFAIK there is no simple & complete solution that you can just pop into
> your system and do this. The connection between login (commonly pam) and
> smbmount is missing.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that too. What you need is for the xdm (kdm
under KDE) to do something extra with the password the user types in: e.g.
set an environment variable (majorly insecure), or write it to
$HOME/.mypasswd (just insecure ;-). Then you could get /usr/lib/X11/Xsession
to call smbmount with the contents of $HOME/.mypasswd for the password.

[Security be damned! It's a Friday ;-)]

--
Cheers

Jason Haar

Unix/Special Projects, Trimble NZ
Phone: +64 3 9635 377 Fax: +64 3 9635 417