Samba and printing

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Thu Nov 2 16:46:12 GMT 2000

Adrian Barker wrote:

> We are running NT4/TSE with Citrix Metaframe 1.8 and using Samba 2.0.5a
> running on Slackware Linux 7.1, which then maps to AIX filestore over
> NFS.
>
> We have a situation whereby sometimes when users'  files/documents are
> stored on a samba drive and they try to print, it prints to a file
> NEnnn: rather than going to the networked printer. Printing is via lpd
> to a separate linux system.
>
> This happens even when they *haven't chosen* the print to file option.
> Logging in and logging out sometimes cures it. Moving their files to the
> local hard disk or an NTFS drive seemingly always cures it. But most of
> the filestore is on Unix so these solutions are poor workarounds.
>
> Any suggestions on how to proceed?

This is not a helpful reponse, but still. I've had users here using
Samba to access a Linux filestore for some time, and I get a growing
collection of files named Ne0n: from printing efforts. I tried to track
it down some time ago, and was told it was a known bug, and was related
to the nt smb support. I was told that setting the "nt smb support"
parameter to no in smb.conf would fix it, but trying this generated
problems that were worse than the original, so I rapidly reverted. I can
only hope that the 2.2 code base will cure the problem.

HTH,

Mike.