Samba Problem

Wilco Minderhoud wjm at sourcemedia.nl
Thu Nov 2 12:04:13 GMT 2000

Hello,

I am a vety enthousiastic user of Linux, namely SuSE Linux 7.0. There is a version of samba which is 2.0.7

I have a problem using samba with a conection to Microsoft Windows machines.
I have configured Samba and when I click on Network Neighbourhood on my Windows machine I can see the Linux server. But when I click on it I get a Warning window with the message:

Cannot find Computer-name or Share-name

I really don't know what the prblem is.. I have a network with TCP/IP. I don't have DNS installed on the Linux server. I have cofigured /etc/lmhosts and /etc/hosts.

I think there is a problem with name resolving but I don't know how get to get this running.

With the command: nmblookup name, I can find the windows machines. But when I try to lookup the name of the Linux server is says:

bowie:/etc # nmblookup bowie
querying bowie on 10.0.0.255
name_query failed to find name bowie

I hopen I hear from you soon

Wilco Minderhoud

Source Multimedia

E-Commerce Solutions
Advanced Webdesign
Interactive Marketing Products

T: +31 (0)10 - 234 33 33
F: +31 (0)10 - 234 35 24
E: info at sourcemedia.nl U: www.sourcemedia.nl
This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged
material intended for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee,
you are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be
received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately by
return e-mail, and delete this message. Source Multimedia, its subsidiaries
and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete
transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any
delay in receipt.