Samba performance compared to Windows 98

Johann Zuschlag zuschlag at online.de
Wed Nov 1 23:10:37 GMT 2000

Try the MS TCP/IP patch, since 95/98 has a broken TCP stack. But usually that helps with slow machines only.
My network runs fine without the patch. And don't let yourself fool by the cache (oplocks), since it might show higher transfer rates due to caching in
windows.

Average should be:
10Mbit - 750-800kbit/sec (hub)
100Mbit 3,5 Mbit/sec (hub) switch might give better results

>	I have a small network with 12-15 users.  In an effort to start migrating
>to a client/server architechure instead of a peer-to-peer, I have removed
>Windows 98 from a Intel PII 600 mhz / 512 MB SDRAM / 3Com FastEtherlink NIC
>and installed Linux 2.2.17.  I configured Samba to share files to our
>Windows 98 clients.

>	The write performance of Samba seems to be much slower (on the order of
>200% slower) than Windows 98 on the same hardware.  I have read the
>documentation on the options to improve performance listed in Using Samba
>and in the docs directory.  I am unable to find an option to bring the
>performance on par with Windows 98 when opening Microsoft Access databases
>from the shared drive.

Johann Zuschlag
zuschlag at online.de