dialin Samba

Keith G. Murphy keithmur at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 7 17:43:55 GMT 2000

Nagy Gabor Peter wrote:

> Hi, list!
>
> I hope the thing I am after is easily done or at least well documented.
> Somehow I did not find any hint this far.
>
> So I have a Linux box here, running Samba 2.0.7, a LAN with Windows 98
> machines, and a modem on the server.
>
> Some users want to dial the server from their Windows laptops when they
> are away, and access the samba shares of the server and the clients on
> the LAN.
>
> I read through the documentation, and have managed to set things up
> so that the client sees the server.
>
> But
>
> To achieve this, in smb.conf I had to add an interfaces line, listing the
> IP address of the ppp link. But now, I cannot start nmbd if the link is
> not up, because it complains about not being able to bind to the IP.
> Using ppp0 instead of the IP address was even worse, it simply did not
> work.

I don't understand why you used the interfaces line at all.  I don't
have to, to do this very thing, and the man page says that by default
samba uses all interfaces the kernel knows about.  Do you have some
reason to limit interfaces?

> The other problem which is a much smaller one, is that I set the dialin
> server up, so that it gives a fix IP address to the dialler. I gave the
> IP address a name in DNS, but if the laptop thinks its netbios name is
> something different, I cannot access it from the server. It works from
> the laptop though, and that is the important part.

I'm not sure I follow you here, but I had a problem where a machine that
was usually Ethernetted, and thus was known to DNS by a certain IP
address, was dialing in; smbclient wanted to talk to it via its usual IP
address.

I changed 'name resolve order' to put 'hosts' (that's the normal
DNS-based resolution) last:

name resolve order = lmhosts wins bcast hosts

It most likely ends up getting the address from the WINS server.

If you do that, there's probably no good reason to even set up the
dialin IP address in your DNS configuration.

Sorry if that's not your problem or isn't applicable.