Samba Children aren't dying, fighting instead

Jeff Ballin jeff at enthalpy.biochem.wisc.edu
Tue May 30 21:46:31 GMT 2000

Hello All,

First I would like to thank you all for for providing such a wonderful
forum for Samba discussion.  I have learned *vast* amounts perusing
this list.  I also would like to thank people for their replies to
my previous question (Re: lock files on write protected shares).  That all
works great now!

My most irritating problem recently has become worse as more people are
using the network.  I am currently running Samba 2.0.7 on an Alpha RedHat
6.0 server which is acting as a PDC for several NT 4.0 Workstations (SP 4).
Things work well for a little while, but as smbd starts spawning subprocesses,
sometimes 10-15 for a single user, seriously slowing down network response
(logins take 30sec up to several minutes; ditto for logouts).  The child
processes stick around even after the user logs off.  Another side effect
is that MS Office stops working, and eventually the server "disappears"
from the network.  Killing off the obsolete  processes solves the problem
(sometimes the NT workstation needs to be restarted).

Ideas?  Smb.conf is available upon request, log files too.

Thank you so much for your help.  Best wishes,

Jeff