SAMBA digest 2536 / Installation/configuration problems

Axel Neumann amn at cromemco.com
Fri May 26 07:38:40 GMT 2000

David Kleppinger wrote:

> I've just installed samba 2.0.6 on our HPUX 11.0 system and am having
> problems getting it to work.  Any help would be appreciated.
>
> I'm trying to use "security = DOMAIN".  Our PDC/BDC are NT 4.0 SP6. The
> workstation I'm trying to connect from is NT 4.0 SP4.
> The HP machine shows up in the network neighborhood but appears to have
> no shares available.  smbd/nmbd are running.  I can use swat.
> When I try "smbclient -L HOST" on the HP I get:
> added interface ip=10.120.100.xxx bcast=10.120.100.255
>     nmask=255.255.255.0
> Password:
> session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password
>     pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
>
> I should add that the workstation ip address is 10.120.130.xxx
>
> The smb.conf reads:
> # Global parameters
> [global]
>         workgroup = WORKGROUP
>         netbios name = HOST
>         server string = HOST access
>         security = DOMAIN
>         encrypt passwords = Yes
>         password server = dtspdc dtsexch
>         username map = /etc/opt/samba/user.map
>         log level = 2
>         syslog = 0
>         log file = /var/opt/samba/log.%m
>         max log size = 1000
>         debug uid = Yes
>         read only = No
>         short preserve case = No
>         dos filetime resolution = Yes
>
> [homes]
>         comment = Home Directory
>         max connections = 50
>         follow symlinks = No
>
> [tmp]
>         comment = Temporary Files
>         path = /tmp
>
> The user map file has:
> davek = dkleppinger
> gary = ghoyer
>
> The smbpasswd file has:
> davek:154:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:xxxxxxxxxxxxx:[U          ]:LCT-xxxxxxxx:
> ghoyer:484:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:xxxxxxxxxxxxx:[U          ]:LCT-xxxxxxxx:
>
> The /etc/passwd file has
> davek:...:154:...
> gary:...:484:...
> Note: I wasn't sure if the user map translation took place before/after
> the smbpasswd file lookup.
> --
>   David Kleppinger                   DKleppinger at dts.edu

	Hi,

	You have not setup smbpasswd correctly. After conversion of etc/passwd to
smbpasswd you 	have to run smbpasswd to add the password for the users. An
automatic conversion of UNIX 	passwords to NT passwords is not possible.
For more details see ENCRYPTION.TXT in the 	docs/textdocs path of your
source distribution or download it from the Samba webserver. Also 	see the
stuff about joining a NT Domain.

	Best regards,

	Axel Neumann