smbmount questions

Stephen L Arnold arnold at ensco.cncoffice.com
Thu May 25 18:33:15 GMT 2000

Howdy all:

I'm trying to use smbmount to mount a win9x share and copy some files for backup, eventually to run as a script invoked via cron.

I have RH6.1/samba 2.0.5a, and the windoze box is win95b.  If I do the standard mount (smbmount //winbox/backup /mnt/smb04) I have to be root.  Also, after it's mounted, I can't create any files there as a normal user (even though the mount-point /mnt/smb04 is owned by me).

The smbmount man page says:

To mount an smb file system, I suggest using the option -c
       for smbmount to pass the mount command. For example, use

       smbmount "\\server\tmp" -c 'mount /mnt -u 123 -g 456'

but the actual command does not understand this syntax, nor does it seem to have the latter two options for setting the user/group IDs (which it seems I need in order to get the right permissions on the mounted share).

What am I missing here?  Is there some other way to get what I need?  I can't just backup the Linux box because all the suitable devices (cdr, dat, etc) are owned by the office windoze weenie.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance, Steve

Stephen L. Arnold                        Senior Systems Engineer
VAFB IV&V Activity                email:  arnold.steve at ensco.com
ENSCO Inc.                            www:  http://www.ensco.com
P.O. Box 5488                                voice: 805.606.8838
Vandenberg AFB, CA  93437                      fax: 805.734.4779

with Std.Disclaimer;  use Std.Disclaimer;