Samba digest 2532 / Problem with "force create mode" et. al.

Ryan Waldron rew at erebor.com
Tue May 23 19:39:31 GMT 2000

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Axel Neumann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Frankly spoken you have a real RTFM problem.

Thanks, that really helps me out. :)

> The manual pages for smb.conf say that "create mask" and "create mode" are
> equal. It also says that there is only a "force XXXX mode" (where XXXX is
> either create or directory). So a replacement of mask with mode will do the
> thing.

Hmm, this is a case of RT-correct-FM, then.  I was making the mistake
of viewing the O'Reilly "Using Samba" book on these parameters, and
they clearly state that, like "create mask|mode", "force create
mask|mode" are equivalent, when they are not.

I also had some underlying FS ownerhip and permissions issues which
were complicating things a bit.  I think I'm over the hump, and want
to thank those of you who helped me get it right.

Ryan Waldron    |||   http://www.erebor.com    |||    rew at erebor.com

"The web goes ever, ever on, down from the site where it began..."