Problem with "force create mode" et. al.

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Mon May 22 16:05:31 GMT 2000

Ryan Waldron wrote:

> However, for some reason, Samba doesn't seem to recognize those
> parameters.  It acts like I just made them up.  What follows are the
> snippet defining that share, and the error messages I get from the log
> file as well as those from running 'testparm'.  Can anyone tell me
> what dumb thing I'm doing wrong here?
>
> >From smb.conf:
> ---snip--snip---
> [Share]
>   comment = Company Shares
>   path = /share
>   public = yes
>   writable = yes
>   printable = no
>   write list = @src @staff
>   force create group = staff
>   force create mask = 0040
>   force directory mask = 2040
> ---snip--snip---
> >From the log file:
> ---snip--snip---
> [2000/05/21 22:28:10, 2] param/loadparm.c:do_section(2481)
>   Processing section "[Share]"
> [2000/05/21 22:28:10, 0] param/loadparm.c:map_parameter(1681)
>   Unknown parameter encountered: "force create group"

I think you're using the wrong parameters. You actually want:-

force group
force create mode
force directory mode

not the ones you have above. FYI, I use a similar scheme, and my shares
are set up like this:-

[common]
          comment = general file share
          path = /usr/local/filestore/common
          valid users = @everyone
          admin users = @smbadmin
          writeable = Yes
          create mask = 0755
          force create mode = 020
          directory mask = 02775
          force directory mode = 02070
          map system = Yes
          map hidden = Yes

Group ownership on new files is decided by the directory ownership, all
directories are SGID, and all files are created group writeable, so
sub-groups of users can share files.

HTH

Mike.