Error: invalid mid from server!

Michael Sieters michaels at ParadigmGeo.com
Mon May 22 05:09:20 GMT 2000

Hi,

I am having some problems using smbclient with the tar option to create a
tar archive.

I get the following error message
    code 0 opening remote file [name of file]

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

I get this error when I try to tar the full share. I can tar everything but
the directory that contains the bad file with out getting the error, and I
can tar only that directory without getting the error.

I am using samba 2.0.7 under solaris 2.5.1 (sparc). I have this problem on 2
systems one is an NT4 server, and the other is a Windows 2000 professional
system. I have no problems backing up the full share on another identical
system (same software, same hardware).

The commands and error message are shown below.

% /opt/samba/bin/smbclient \\\\merlot\\backupc PASSWORD -U backup -Tcq - |
cat > /dev/null
Domain=[PTBRISBANE] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]
code 0 opening remote file \ptm\geolog6.16\bin\mui_log_load.exe
(\ptm\geolog6.16\bin\)
invalid mid from server!

% /opt/samba/bin/smbclient \\\\merlot\\backupc PASSWORD -U backup -TcqX -
\\ptm\geolog6.16 | cat > /dev/null
tar: dumped 19709 files and directories
Total bytes written: 1692660736

% /opt/samba/bin/smbclient \\\\merlot\\backupc PASSWORD -U backup -D
\\ptm\\geolog6.16 -TcX - | cat > /dev/null
tar: dumped 3914 files and directories
Total bytes written: 138957824

Thanks

Michael