Postscript Printing Problems.

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Sun May 21 22:17:07 GMT 2000

On Mon, 22 May 2000, Chris Hardy wrote:

> I've searched both the archives and dejanews, to no avail.  I'm trying
> to get a hp 4mp (PostScript) print out sane output.  I've got a old
> machine running Red Hat Linux, hooked up to the 4MP.  The printcap
> prints up postscript just fine.  I make the printer a share, tell it
> that the printer is postscript, then go to the win98 box, choose the HP
> 4MP driver and try printing and get goobly gook.  Any ideas? Have I
> missed something?

This may be a stupid question but does the 4MP driver generate postscript?

I assume that (unless the 4MP is a postscript printer) on the linux side
you have a printcap that runs a script to convert the postscript input to
PCL or something. But if you feed that conversion non-postscript it gets
confused.

I think there are HP xyz drivers under windows that generate postscript
and those who don't. Well, at least some of them have PostScript after
their name (who knows what they actually do).

/Urban