samba-2.0.7 build in separate directory fails

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Wed May 17 23:47:28 GMT 2000

[Philippe De Muyter <phdm at macqel.be>]
> I try to compile samba-2.07 in a separate directory and it fails with :
>
>     Linking bin/smbd
>     ld: 0711-934 SEVERE ERROR: Cannot create the output file: bin/smbd
> 	    ld:open() A file or directory in the path name does not exist.
[...]
> I am the only one trying that, or does a fix already exist ?

It's been reported already.  The two ways to fix it would be

  mkdir {build-dir}/bin
  rm -r {source-dir}/source/bin

The second is actually the "correct" fix.

I guess this one wasn't caught before release because most people don't
build outside the source directory.  Why not?  I don't know.  I find
that it makes life so much simpler -- no need for `make clean' before
`diff', for example.

Peter