smbmount - what permissions? (again)... one solution

Jacques Landru landru at enic.fr
Tue May 16 09:22:18 GMT 2000

Hello,

I have found a solution on an other news group : uk.comp.os.linux
There is a set of messages with the
subject "Ordinary user to mount SAMBA share"
You can read the content of that uk.comp.os.linux group
through the web, the URL is http://x35.deja.com

In one of the message the author wrote
"After, further test. I find smbmount, unlike mount,
requires the user owns the mount_point..."

In another message I found
"... Samba assume you have identical username on both local and remote
machines. If this note the case you need to specify
a option to tell remote username. However, none other
than root is allowed to mount (same as smbmount) with option.
So you either (1)  synchronyze username on linux and nt boxes;
or (2) have a fstab entry for the nt share and use mount
instead of smbmount"...

So I have sastified three conditions for my users can
(smb)mount their personnal  disk space from  a NT server

    1) smbmount and smbmnt files have 's' bit,
    2) user owns the mount point,
    3) linux account and nt account have their username synchronyzed

I hope, this will help other people...

Jacques Landru

P.S. Suggestion : May be these three conditions can be included
in a future version of the smbmount man pages
or in a smbmount FAQ.