smbmount filesystem weirdness

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Sat May 13 10:31:52 GMT 2000

On Sat, 13 May 2000, Craig Pratt wrote:

> I have a feeling that it's something related to this difference in
> semantics regarding read-only files that's breaking RCS. Is there anything
> to be done to deal with this difference?

Yes.

In Linux 2.2.16-preX there is a change to smbfs that gives posix semantics
to unlink (ie it tries to chmod and unlink again, if the first unlink
fails).

You could either run 2.2.16-pre2 (patch vs 2.2.15 is at
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/alan/2.2.16pre/ ) or take the
code "tagged" with SMBFS_POSIX_UNLINK (in linux/fs/smbfs/proc.c) and try
to move it to your favourite version.

Don't know if it fixes RCS though.

/Urban