smdb bind error

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Tue May 9 04:22:10 GMT 2000

[Charles Olds <colds at ucglink.net>]
> When I /etc/rc.d/init.d samba start I get an error message in the
> smbd log file that says "bind failed on port 139 socket_addr=0.0.0.0
> (Address already in use).  What is causing this?  What do I need to
> do to fix it.

Most likely Caldera managed to screw something up (who would have
thought!), and Samba is running out of inetd, but for some reason
/etc/rc.d/init.d/samba was not informed of this decision.

If my theory is correct, you need to comment out the lines in
/etc/inetd.conf that start with "netbios-ssn" and "netbios-ns".  Then
you need to make the right symlinks in your runlevel directories so
that smbd and nmbd will start on boot.  In Debian you can do this with
`update-rc.d', though to me that's too much bother so I just do it by
hand.

The other possibility is that you have Samba running already, and your
/etc/rc.d/init.d/samba is too dumb to realize it.  In which case you
have to kill off the old Samba daemons before starting it.

Peter