Browsing issues NT WS 4.0 and Samba

Kurt Heinrich k.heinric at morganbanks.com.au
Thu May 4 04:29:23 GMT 2000

Hi Guys/Girls,

I have recently been trying to implement samba into our environment here as
a replacement for ftp clients.

What I am finding is that windows explorer (NT W/S 4.0) will not list all
the files in the directory or in fact all the sub directories either. It is
quite unusual, one of the shares we have contains two directories sun and
suntst. They are basically mirrors of each other ( one is a test environment
) and they both contain the same subdirectories, permission's, owners and
group information. In sun I can see all the directories yet in suntst I am
missing several.
They are accessed via the same share.
This is repeatable in a couple of the other shares as well as across the
three servers I have installed samba on.

Although the smb.conf has a lot of vetoing information in it I have gotten
the same results using a very basic config file with no vetoing.

I can actually connect to the share from a command prompt, do a directory
listing and will not be able to see certain directories yet I can cd into
the same directories. It would appear that Samba is not updating explorer
correctly.

I have also observed that creating a new file or copying one to the share
creates the file ok yet as soon as the screen is refreshed the files can no
longer be seen.

Everything works fine from a windows 98 PC

I have tried the following releases of samba with the same results

2.0.3 ( sourced from samba web site, precompiled for SCO )
2.0.5 a	( sourced for SCO's skunkware website, precompiled )
2.0.7	( sourced from samba web site and compiled myself using GNU compiler
)

The operating system in use is SCO openserver 5.0.5 with y2k patches (505a,
600a oss497c)
Two if the servers causing problems are Compaq PL7000's with 10/100 failover
nics.
The other server is a dell poweredge 2100 using integrated intel
etherexpress pro nic
Dns and Wins are used for browsing/ name resolution as we have about 8
subnets within the company.

I doubt this is a straightforward permission's issue as the permission's are
all set correctly, none of the directories that are disappearing are linked
or unusual in any way. They are all on the same filesystem.

here is a copy of smb.conf

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from RU12140 (168.5.16.140)
# Date: 2000/05/04 11:53:42

# Global parameters
[global]
	workgroup = M&B
	server string = %h samba %v
	security = SHARE
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	map to guest = Bad User
	name resolve order = wins bcast
	wins server = 168.5.13.5
	guest account = profadv
	guest ok = Yes

[import]
	path = /u/data/ld0/chris/import
	writeable = Yes
	force user = chris
	force group = chris
	force create mode = 0775
	force directory mode = 0775

[chris]
	path = /u/data/ld0/chris
	force user = chris
	force group = chris
	force create mode = 0775
	force directory mode = 0775
	writeable = no

[sun]
	path = /u/data/ld1/sun/sun
	strict sync = yes
	sync always = yes
	force user = profadv
	force group = sun
	writeable = Yes
	force create mode = 0775
	force directory mode = 0775
#	veto files =
/*ASI*/*AUS*/*ELA*/*ELI*/*INQ*/*NZL*/*TES*/*TRN*/*UK*/*.idx/*.int/*.gnt/back
/bin/docs/gnts/gzipsrc/ints/io/lib/linked/lost+found/pa/save/sunback/SunQuer
y/unlinked/*.MRG/p/print/worktmp/

[homevcq]
	path = /u/data/home/vcq
	force user = vcq
	force group = sun
	writeable = Yes
	force create mode = 0775
	force directory mode = 0775

[usrvcq$]
	path = /u/data/ld1/vcq
	force user = vcq
	force group = sun
	writeable = Yes
	force create mode = 0775
	force directory mode = 0775

[sunall$]
	path = /u/data/ld1/sun
	force user = profadv
	force group = sun
	writeable = Yes
	force create mode = 0775
	force directory mode = 0775
	veto files =
/*ASI*/*AUS*/*ELA*/*ELI*/*INQ*/*NZL*/*TES*/*TRN*/*UK*/*.idx/*.int/*.gnt/back
/bin/docs/gnts/gzipsrc/ints/io/lib/linked/lost+found/pa/save/sunback/SunQuer
y/unlinked/*.MRG/p/print/worktmp/

##############################

The workstations are all compaq desktop machines or ibm laptops and the
results are very consistent in what it does but not why it does. I have
tried forcing strict sync and this did not appear to help.
Browsing to the machines is fine, there are no problems there, it is only
after i have connected to a share i observe these problems
I have had a look through the archives as samba.org but couldnt find
anything like what i am experiencing except for one person who had 10000
files in one directory, i have about 1100.

Are there any known issues with NT W/S ??
I have tried SP3,4 and 6a with exactly the same results.
I have turned on debugging and it didnt report anything obvious.
Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated
If you need more information or have any questions pls feel free to email me
(k.heinric at morganbanks.com.au)

Regards

Kurt

and contains information which may be confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient please do not
read, save, forward, disclose, or copy the contents of
this email. If this email has been sent to you in error,
please delete this email and any copies or links to this
email completely and immediately from your system.