C cedilla problem

Jose Gabriel Marcelino gabriel at maquina.com
Thu May 4 01:25:07 GMT 2000

Hi,

I'm having a problem with Samba (which is strange because I don't usually
have any problems with Samba).

I have the following directories on a Windows NT 4.0 server, as I see them
from my SuSE Linux 6.3 box with Samba 2.0.7 (self-compiled). Both the
Linux and Windows box are the English versions, however we're using
Portuguese language filenames.

  .                                  DA        0  Wed Apr 19 17:03:10 2000
  ..                                 DA        0  Wed Apr 19 17:03:10 2000
  Armazém Revistas                   DA        0  Wed May  3 20:13:07 2000
  Pessoal                             D        0  Tue May  2 10:31:43 2000
  Produçao                            D        0  Tue May  2 15:02:59 2000
  Tesouraria                          D        0  Thu Feb  4 13:09:31 1999
               49387 blocks of size 131072. 9786 blocks available

Note the c cedilla on "Produçao".
The problem is when I try to cd to that directory samba tells me:

"cd \Groups\Produçao\: ERRDOS - ERRbadpath (Directory invalid.)"

However I can sucessfuly change into the top directory "Armazem
Revistas" which also contains an accented character.

Even worse, when using smbtar to backup that share on the Linux box,
smbtar would also not change into the c cedilla directory ("Produçao") and
so as failed to backup that directory at all (it backups everything else
OK)

I already have:
   character set = ISO8859-1
   client code page = 850

in my smb.conf, but even without that the problem was there (now I can SEE
the filenames correctly, however)

Please let me know how can I fix this problem or how can I help to
better understand this problem.

This is actually a showstopper for me as I can't just change that filename
without messing dozens of clients who have always used this (I'm actually
against accents in filenames, I HATE them, but this was left over from
prior management)

Thanks again for your patience and help.

regards,

Gabriel