Password Encryption

Allwin, Stephen D sallwin at cessna.textron.com
Wed May 3 14:29:27 GMT 2000

Help!!

Our Samba server is a Silicon Graphics Octane running version 2.0.0.  This
Octane resides on an NT domain.  The majority of the nodes on this domain
are NT workstations.  Password authentication to get into the Octane is done
through NIS.  Password authentication to get into the NT workstation is done
through an NT server.

Currently we are accessing the Samba server from an NT workstation by
authenticating through the NT server (security=server).  The usernames for
the Octane and the NT workstations are different.  Therefore we are using a
username map.

I want to implement "password encryption" on the Samba server so that I can
authenticate to the Octane.  I have attempted to implement this feature but
have been unsuccessfull.  I created the encryption file and then used
smbpasswd to change the password for a specific user.  I am attempting to
access the shares on the Samba server from an NT 4.0 Workstation.  It almost
acts like the Samba server is not recieving the correct username.  I have
been testing the encrypted password feature by using smbclient, thereby
telling the Samba server EXACTLY what the username is.  Here is the
following error I get when I attempt to connect to the Samba server using
"encrypted passwords".

	session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password -
name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)

Either the Samba server does not recognize the username/password
combination, or NT 4.0 is passing the wrong username/password comination to
the Samba server.

I would really appreciate anybody's help on this issue.

Good day.

Steve A.