starting smb services at bootup on x86 RH6.1

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at Infinity-ltd.com
Tue May 2 23:07:08 GMT 2000

At 12:07 AM 5/3/00 +1000, naughton at domino.danielwoodhead.com wrote:
>I am running RH6.1 on an x86 with 2.0.6 installed with an RPM.  I am
>confused as to getting smb to start at bootup.  It works fine if I start it
>manually (/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start).  I swear, the 5.2 installation had
>smb start at bootup, but I can't find the difference between the two.  Is
>the answer
>
>1 - edit the /etc/inetd.conf file (swat needed a line uncommented)
>2 - edit the /etc/rc.d/rc.local file to add /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start
>3 - add symlinks to the /etc/rc.d/rcx.d directories to point to smb
>
>I'm a bit my league with this one.  Unfortunately, this is as close as I
>could get.  TIA
>

>Dan Naughton

The answer is number 3.  An easy way to do it is, as root:

chkconfig smb on

This will set all the symlinks for you.  (It will not start Samba for this
bootup though, unless you change run levels.)

Mikkel