RedHat Linux 6.1, Samba, & DHCPD problems

Jonathan B. Bayer Jonathan_Bayer at bigfoot.com
Fri Mar 31 14:56:08 GMT 2000

Hi,

I've checked the archives, and didn't see anything relating to this:

I have a RH 6.1 fileserver running Samba (latest update from RH).  I
have 3 computer plus a laptop on this network, all properly accessing
the Samba shares.  The IP address for all of these systems are
statically assigned.  Also, all of these systems automatically restore
a file share when logging on.  The systems are running Win-95, Win-98,
Win-98SE (with all updates) and NT 4.0 SP5.

The Laptop is running Win98SE with all updates from MS.  The network
card on the laptop is a LinkSys PCMCIA card.

Now, I'm trying to get DHCP running on my network, so I installed the
DHCPD daemon, configured it (see config file below) and started it.
Then I reconfigured the laptop to automatically get it's address,
rebooted it, logged on, and then inserted the network card.  I was very
happy when the laptop was able to get it's IP address properly (I
checked with ipconfig.exe, and winipcfg.exe).  However, I then got a
message on the laptop which said that the file server was unable to see
the laptop????  I checked the Samba logs, and there was NO indication
of any activity.

So, I restored the laptop back to a static IP, and rebooted, and it
worked properly.

Samba is configured to allow access to the entire local subnet
(192.168.1./24)

First question:  Is it possible that Samba is remembering that a
particular machine name is associated with a specific IP?
Second question:   If not, what else should I be looking for/at?

Thanks in advance.

JBB

/etc/dhcpd.conf:

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
	range 192.168.1.150 192.168.1.199;
	default-lease-time 3600;
	max-lease-time 86400;
	option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
	option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
	option domain-name "myhome.net";
	option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.100;
	option routers 192.168.1.254;
}

- --
ICQ # 44910403
Power Listviewer URL:   http://www.bigfoot.com/~PowerListviewer
PMMail Archiver URL:    http://www.bigfoot.com/~Jonathan_Bayer/archiver

For PGP Public key block/Fingerprint send the following message to me as the Subject:
        Send PGP Signature