Strange file Behavior

Leo Crombach lcrombach at tropel.com
Thu Mar 30 19:27:50 GMT 2000

Samba Masters:

I recently upgraded all of our Samba servers to 2.0.6.  Previously, we had
several versions running all the way from 1.9.15p8 up to the current
release.  Since the upgrade, there has been a strange problem reading text
files on one of the shares.

Here's the situation.  The server is a Sun box with Solaris 2.5.1.  A
program that runs on this machine writes a text file into a samba shared
folder.  Then, a user opens the text file from a PC using notepad to verify
the data (there is a desktop shortcut pointing to the file).  The strange
thing is, the file is not showing the updates.  However, if I open the file
on the Sun box with vi, all of the data is present.  Then, if I rename the
file and open it via notepad, all of the data is visible.  I can then rename
back to the original name and again see all of the data.  This renaming has
to be done each time in order to see all of the updates.  It seems as though
there is some caching occurring which prevents the updates from being
displayed in the file.

I have tried to verify all of the proper file and directory permissions and
set the relevant parameters from the old smb.conf into the new smb.conf.
Below is the appropriate section from both files.  Any help would be
appreciated.

Old smb.conf file from 1.9.15p8
===============================
[database]