password problem -- or bug?

Chris chrisv at satl.com
Thu Mar 30 15:22:00 GMT 2000

> >>Have you tried deleting all *.pwl files on the win9x machine?
> >You have got something there. I just deleted the *.pwl files
> >on my win95 machine. After that I could not succesfully
> >log in without supplying the password. However, when
> >prompted for a password there is an option to save the
> >password in some sort of password list -- and the default
> >is that the password is saved. Thus, the problem will
>
> My guess is that your pwl files were corrupted (what you saw was not
> normal behavior). If you try saving the password and then using a blank
> password at network login you shouldn't be able to access the shares.
> Samba cannot distinguish between the 2 cases.
> If the problem persists you can disable password caching on the Win9x
> clients, there is a kb article whose number I don't remember...

from MSDN: (Windows 95 Resource Kit, or KB Q137826)

To disable password caching by using system policies
In System Policy Editor, double-click the Local Computer icon.
In the Local Computer Properties, click Network, and then click Passwords.
Click the policy named Disable Password Caching.

Chris

If you were supposed to understand it,
we wouldn't call it code.
[chrisv at satl.com]