Samba dosn't seem to work when bridging is enabled under FreeBSD 3.4

Shaun Dwyer zeus at quakeclan.net
Thu Mar 30 14:11:18 GMT 2000

Hi,

I have been trying to set up a network bridge on my FreeBSD 3.4 machine (hades),
and as soon as I enable the bridge, Samba stops servicing requests from both
sides of the network.

The following is a 'diagram' to give you an idea of my setup.

                             |------|
                        |----+Charon|
|-------|    |----|     |    |------|
|Neptune+----+Hades+----|
|-------|    |----|     |    |-----|
                        |----+Tower|
                             |-----|

The above should look right if you are using a fixed width font.

what the above represents is my network configuration.
Neptune is connected to Hades via a Cross over network cable (to hades'
secondary NIC) Hades is then connected to the rest of the network via (primary
NIC) a hub. The rest of the network being Charon and Tower.

Tower is a windows98 box, Charon is a FreeBSD 3.4 box, Neptune boots
FreeBSD 4.0 and windows98.

My aim is to have Hades set up as a bridge, so I can get to the rest of the
network from Neptune. This all works. FTP, telnet, etc all works fine. Its only
samba that has a problem.

>From Neptune I can connect to CIFS/samba services on Tower and on charon, and
the reverse is also true.
However, I cannot connect to any samba servies on Hades from any machine on the
network (Neptune, Charon, and Tower).

In my configuration, I have tried setting the 'interfaces' parameter to the
default (blank) and to 'fxp*' (fxp0 and fxp1 are my NICs), and still have had
no luck.

After checking the log files (and setting the log level to 10) I can't see
anything about any requests being made, let alone rejected.

The ability to do bridging is important, as I often goto lan parties and need
fast access to hades from neptune. Most places I goto only have a 10mbit
network. :-(

I havn't had time to do any packet sniffing yet, but I think that will be next
on the list of things to do. If I have any luck getting this going, I will let
send another e-mail to the mailing lists on how I tackled the problem.

I Suspect that this is a configuration issue with samba, and not a
configuration problem with the bridge (or anything else) as all other servies
work fine.

If any one can help me, or give me any suggestions, it would be much
appriciated.

Regards,
Shaun

(as I am not subscribed to the mailing list, please e-mail me directly)

--
Shaun Dwyer
Zeus at quakeclan.net

--