password problem -- or bug?

Carsten Nordstrøm Jensen north at get2net.dk
Thu Mar 30 07:42:16 GMT 2000

>>I cannot reproduce the no-password login with smbclient:
>>[cn at esc /home/cn] $smbclient '\\esc\cnj' -Ucn%tmppass
>>smb: \>
>>[cn at esc /home/cn] $smbclient '\\esc\cnj' -Ucn%
>>session setup failed: ERRSRV - ERRbadpw

>Have you tried deleting all *.pwl files on the win9x machine?
You have got something there. I just deleted the *.pwl files
on my win95 machine. After that I could not succesfully
log in without supplying the password. However, when
prompted for a password there is an option to save the
password in some sort of password list -- and the default
is that the password is saved. Thus, the problem will
appear again unless all users are instructed NOT to allow
the password to be saved in that list on their machines......
Can't Samba be instructed not to accept passwords just
from the list?

>How is the [homes] section set up in smb.conf, and which is >the guest
user?
[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes
    available = no
    public = no
    only user = no

The machines are configured so that the users see a share like:
[cnj]
    path = /home/cn/filearea
    writable = yes
    browseable = no