Samba 2.0.6 Interfaces

Jeremy Allison jeremy at valinux.com
Wed Mar 29 21:51:58 GMT 2000

"Armstrong, Scott" wrote:

> We're had some recurring problems with nmbd's on Solaris 2.7 and Irix 6.5
> failing to renew their WINS registrations in a timely manner causing the
> records to become tombstoned. While we've solved it by issuing "pkill" and
> "killall", respectively, of nmbd nightly from root's crontab, I wanted to
> alert the authors and other administrators to the problem so similar
> workarounds can be implemented where appropriate and, hopefully, a fix can
> be implemented into 2.0.7 before its release.

Can you investigate what TTL is being returned to the nmbd
from the WINS server when it registers a name ?

The way the code works is it registers the name, requesting
a time to live of "max ttl" from the smb.conf (3 days by
default), and then gets the TTL from the WINS reply packet and
sets that as the internal "death time", and then sets the
"refresh time" to be half the returned value from the
WINS server.

Thus nmbd should refresh its names in plenty of time (that's
the theory). If this is failing I'd like to track it down.

Regards,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.