password problem -- or bug??

Carsten Nordstrøm Jensen north at get2net.dk
Wed Mar 29 07:12:46 GMT 2000

By accident I just discovered what might be a
samba bug.

We have a Redhat 6.0 linux server with Samba 2.0.6
and Windows 95/98 clients.

If a user has set his Windows password non-empty
he is asked for password suitably to lon in to the
network and gain writing privilegies on the shares
on the server. As expected.

If the user has set his Windows password empty, however,
he is able to log in to the network and gain writing
privilegies without ever having to supply the proper
password for the server. If he just leaves the password
field in the login dialog empty he is logged in and gains
writing privilegies to his own profile share and
common shares.

Now, in our little "friendly" network it is not a major
problem. No doubt, though, that it is not what
is expected ? Huh?

- Carsten