New User .. Please Help

Julian.Tan at allianz.com.sg Julian.Tan at allianz.com.sg
Fri Mar 24 12:06:44 GMT 2000

I am a new user to Samba (or rather struggling to be a user).

Our setup is RS/6000s with AIXs and NT File/Print servers/workstations,
Lotus Notes server etc etc....

I currently wanted to try and use samba as our internetworking solution
between our AIXs and NTs. I know that samba can do this but not sure how
far it can do it ... so, I have decided to do a trial run on one of our
test AIX machine. I followed the instruction from the UNIX_INSTALL.txt
file. When i run the ./configure, I got the following message:

checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

I think the error means i don't have a C Compiler and they can't find it in
the $PATH though I don't really know what is gcc, Am I right ? I have not
really used a c compiler before, where can i get one "for free" ? :) -
that's the reason we choose samba ....

I hope I have posted to the correct mailing list ... Thanks for any help in
advance .... and sorry for the trouble if i have posted wrongly but please
let me know if I have posted wrongly ....

Julian